PRESS STATEMENT ON THE POLL DISRUPTION AND SUBSEQUENT CANCELLATION OF THE GAMA WARD ELECTIONS RESULTS AT NASARAWA LGA COLLATION CENTER IN NASARAWA L.G.A OF KANO STATE ON MONDAY, 11 MARCH, 2019
Recall that the Governorship and State Assembly elections were concluded all over Kano state on Saturday, 9th March, 2019 in a relatively commendably peaceful environment; however at the point of the collation of results towards the end of the exercise, an ugly incident occurred involving the disruption of the collation process of Gama Ward of Nasarawa Local Government Area resulting in the arrest of 3 highly placed state government officials.
Our observation team was properly on ground while the collation was going on smoothly at the Gama center. Suddenly, at about 1:30am on Monday 11th March, the Kano State Deputy Governor, Dr Nasir Yusif Gawuna, the state Commissioner for Local Government, Murtala Sule Garo and the Chairman of Nassarawa L.G.A. Lamin Sani stormed the venue and disrupted the collation process.
The attacking team did indeed disrupted the collation exercise by vandalizing some of the vital electoral materials used for the exercise which subsequently led to the cancellation of the results of the whole ward.
The violent pandemonium that ensued resulted in the apprehension of Messrs Gawuna, Garo and the Lamin. Their subsequent evacuation to the office of the Kano State Commissioner of Police, CP Mohammed Wakil, after an initial minor blockage, our representative was allowed to observe the proceeding in the Commissioner’s office which was also handled smoothly and professionally by Commissioner of Police Wakili.
The suspects went through all the police investigation procedures including making voluntarily statements at the end of which the Police Commissioner appealed for public calm and understanding with a solemn pledge to ensure justice is done.
We are happy to state here that the procedure was transparently and professionally carried out by the police and we are sufficiently confident in the commitment of the Police Commissioner to enforce the provisions of the law for the public good.
1. Having had a firsthand detail of what transpired, we first and foremost condemn the unfounded action of the government officials which was unfortunate, unconventional and unstatesmanlike.
2. We specifically commend the professional conduct of the police under Commissioner Wakil and assure the command of our confidence and cooperation in ensuring peace and harmony in Kano is restored.
3. We call on the peace-loving people of Kano to remain calm and assure them that from what we observed, the police force is determined to ensure that full justice is done.
4. We wish to re-echo our call on the Police Force to live up to the confidence of the public by seeing the matter to its logical conclusion and satisfaction of all; without fear or favour.
5. On our part, we assure the public of our commitment to keep vigilant and to update you on further developments; as we shall ensure all those arrested are prosecuted in a court of competent jurisdiction in line with the electoral Act as it regards punitive measures for such reprehensible conduct.
LONG LIVE KANO STATE
LONG LIVE NIGERIA
Kano Observers Coordinator
Global Initiative for Civic Training & Youth Development.